Testimony of the Day
“Thanks Maria Wojcik Emmerich and Keto Adapted! Finally got rid of my Hashimoto’s health issues and could not have done it without you.” – Nicole
If you want to get started on a path to health and healing, click HERE. You will not regret it!
NOTE: I don’t use regular store brand gelatin. I use Great Lakes Gelatin. It is made from pastured cows in Argentina that have not been treated with antibiotics or hormones. I bought a HUGE amount (gelatin doesn’t spoil!)
According to Nourishing Traditions and the Weston A. Price foundation, there are various health benefits to Gelatin, including:
1. Can improve digestion since it naturally binds to water and helps food move more easily though the digestive track.
2. Good for joints and can decrease pain associated with arthritis.
3. Can help tighten loose skin. I get questions all the time on how to do this! Here is one trick!
4. Supports skin, hair and nail growth.
5. Great source of dietary collagen, therefore it helps reduce cellulite! (BEAUTY TIP: do not waste your money on topical creams that claim to reduce cellulite. Collagen is too large to be absorbed by the skin, so those skin creams are a waste of money. Consume it internally and use almond or coconut oil for lotion).
6. Speeds wound healing: Gelatin is mainly composed of the amino acids glycine and proline, which many people don’t consume in adequate amounts as they are found in the bones, fibrous tissues and organs of animals and as a population, we don’t consume these parts as much anymore. These amino acids are needed not only for proper skin, hair and nail growth, but for a healthy immune function and weight regulation! Glycine, which makes up about 1/3 of the amino acids in gelatin powder is anti-inflammatory and evidence is finding that it can help speed wound healing.
7. Helps with sleep: Glycine in gelatin can also help improve quality of sleep.
8. Balances hormones: We are living in a “Sea of Estrogen” (yes, even men!), which can be caused by consuming alcohol, excess carbohydrates, hormones in food, phytoestrogens in soy, xenoestrogens found in plastics, heating food in plastic, even soap is estrogenic. This hormonal imbalance causes aging, inflammation, and infertility. Gelatin has anti-estrogenic effects which can help offset the effects of excess estrogen in the body.
9. Weight Loss: It boosts Human Growth Hormone production and boost metabolism. The largest surge of Human Growth Hormone is 30-70 minutes after bed (I write all about the Human Growth Hormone in my book: Secrets to a Healthy Metabolism). To help with weight loss, do not eat 3 hours before bed to let the natural rise of Human Growth Hormone happen (or insulin will stop the natural rise).
You can eat it plain, but I recommend mixing in to a cup of tea by dissolving at least 1 TBS in about 1/3 cup cold water and then adding 2/3 cup of the steeped tea.
So Gelatin is a super supplement!
I was inspired by this blog post on making your own homemade Cheez Whiz, but I didn’t want to use milk (since I don’t recommend lactose) and I wanted to incorporate brown butter! Since that makes everything better!
You may notice that my Cheez Whiz is NOT orange like traditional cheese. This is because I used white cheddar.
- 4 TBS organic butter
- 1 cup organic beef broth (or other broth, boxed is fine)
- 1 tsp Great Lakes gelatin
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ tsp Celtic sea salt
- Place the butter in a large saucepan and heat on high while stirring often until butter froths and brown flecks appear (not black! lol).
- Remove from heat.
- Place the broth in a bowl and sprinkle gelatin over it. Sift and allow gelatin to soften for a few minutes.
- Stir broth into the hot butter until well combined. Be careful, it might splatter a little with the how hot the butter is.
- Add in the shredded cheese and stir until combined.
- Place into a blender or food processor (I used my blendtec but THIS food processor works also) and puree until smooth.
- It will be very liquidy at first.
- Pour into a squeeze bottle and store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Traditional Cheez Whiz =
"Healthified" Cheez Whiz = 102 calories, 9.4g fat, 4.3g protein, 0.2g carbs
(82.8% fat, 16.6% protein, 0.6% carbs)