I once adored going to McDonald’s for a Shamrock Shake. But when Craig lost his job, I started cooking our favorite restaurant meals at home! Not only was it a great way to save money, but we both lost a lot of weight eating healthier versions at home!
Check out our favorite restaurant recipes made keto in my best-selling cookbook Keto Restaurant Favorites! Click HERE to find it on SALE!
HOMEMADE SHAMROCK SHAKE
One fun family project to do is to grow a small herb garden in the house. Most people think you must eat fruits and veggies to get all your nutrients in for the day, but a hidden food that has A TON of nutrients are herbs! Spices are also a product that should be bought organic since you eat the leaves that are sprayed with chemicals. One way to save money is to keep one of these cute plants in the kitchen!
The chemical compound menthol comes from the oil found in mint. Menthol has many healing properties for our body:
1. STOMACH PAIN: Relieves symptoms of indigestion, heartburn and irritable bowel syndrome by relaxing the muscles in and around the intestine.
2. CANCER: It is an antioxidant that kills free radicals, therefore protects the body against the formation of cancerous cells.
3. ASTHMA: Eases and unblock the breathing and respiratory passages and airways.
3. CANDIDA: Kills many different types of bacteria and fungus.
4. ANXIETY: Act as a mild sedative and has calming properties.
5. COLD/FLU/COUGH/SINUS PRESSURE: Relieves the symptoms of colds and flu. It can relieve congestion, head colds and headaches.
6. ALLERGIES: Mint can help with nasal allergies by relaxing vessels.
7. PAIN (MUSCLES and BURNS): Provides a cooling sensation to the skin and can help to treat minor burns, itching and skin irritations. It is often the smell added to topical pain relievers because it relieves minor pains such as muscle cramps and sprains.
8. SKIN and ACNE: is an awesome skin cleanser and a healthy way to combat acne. Click HERE to find the natural cleansing pads with mint oils.
9. ORAL HEALTH: Kills bad breath.
NOTE: This can be dairy free by using Jay Robb egg white protein and KITE HILL dairy free cream cheese OR coconut cream.
FOR NUTRITIONAL BENEFIT add a few tablespoons Unflavored Collagen! Click HERE to order the collagen I love that has 0 carbs! Use coupon code: MARIAMINDBODY for 5% off
“HEALTHIFIED” SHAMROCK SHAKE
1/2 cup avocado
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or full fat coconut milk)
1/4 cup Jay Robb vanilla protein powder (egg white protein preferred)
2 TBS cream cheese OR KITE HILL dairy free cream cheese, softened
1 cup crushed ice
4 TBS erythritol (or Swerve)
1 tsp stevia glycerite (optional)
1/4 tsp mint extract or about 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves
1/2 tsp Celtic Sea Salt (for minerals)
Place all ingredients in a blender (I use this BlendTec which is on sale now for $100 off!). Puree until smooth. Pour into 2 glasses. Makes 2 servings.
NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per 16 ounce serving)
McDonald’s Shake = 680 calories, 20g fat, 14g protein, 111g carbs, 0 fiber
“Healthified” Shake (coconut milk) = 355 calories, 31g fat, 15 g protein, 8g carbs, 4.4g fiber (79% fat, 16% protein, 9% carbs)
“Healthified” Shake (almond milk) = 146 calories, 10g fat, 12g protein, 4.9 carbs, 2.8g fiber (61% fat, 32% protein, 13% carbs)
VARIATION: Use Strawberry Jay Robb protein powder, omit the mint and add strawberry extract. For the pink color, I added a tsp of natural food coloring. Click HERE to find.
HELPFUL TIP: Adding citric acid (like lime juice) helps mask bitter flavors in foods.
For Micah’s 3rd birthday party, I made Push Pops for everyone to enjoy!