Keto Refried Beans
I once adored going to Mexican restaurants for refried beans! (which is a huge hit in the book Keto Restaurant Favorites). But when Craig lost his job, and we couldn’t afford to go out to eat, I started cooking our favorite restaurant meals at home! Not only was it a great way to save money, but we both lost a lot of weight eating healthier versions at home!
Check out our favorite restaurant recipes made keto in my best-selling cookbook Keto Restaurant Favorites!
KETO REFRIED BEANS
What are keto refried beans? Well keep reading, and some great recipes…first some facts.
Most of you know re-fried beans are traditionally made with pinto beans. My program doesn’t allow beans. Sure, they seem harmless…no corn syrup, no trans-fats, no “plastic package” surrounding this food item…so what’s wrong with eating beans?
Well, first off, let’s check the ingredients in traditional re-fried beans = Prepared Dry Beans, Water, Salt, Lard (Partially Hydrogenated Lard With BHA And BHT Added To Help Protect Flavor), Onion Powder, Chili Pepper, Garlic Powder, Spice. Hydrogentated oils!!! Trans-fats = bad bad bad!
Beans also are very high in carbs. Sure they have protein, but with a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein, it is considered a carb in the nutrition books. I don’t believe beans have caused people to have a damaged metabolism, BUT since the typical American diet is filled with carbs and sugar, most people end up sensitive to carbs. Once that happens, things like beans have too much starch.
Beans, as well as grains, contain lectins, which are indigestible proteins found in plants that attach themselves to the lower intestine, causing a really unpleasant inflammatory response and a cascade of bowel issues. This is when people suffer from Crohn’s, colitis, IBS, and other auto-immune disorders. These lectins also increase the risk of leptin resistance. Leptin is the hormone that signals that we are full, which can malfunction causing over-eating.
This is why I suggest a grain-free, bean-free diet. My passion is to make this limited diet as tasty as possible so you can stay successful! Here is a recipe that you will totally enjoy that is low in starch and no lectins!
|More recipes, photos and tips like this are found in The Art of Eating Healthy Savory.|
I know this recipe sounds crazy, but it is soooooo good! I have gotten so many comments saying that their spouse had no clue it wasn’t real re-fried beans.
- 1 medium eggplant, or 2 large zucchini
- 4 strips bacon, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onions (about 1 large)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon seeded and minced jalapeño pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- ½ cup crumbled queso fresco or shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- ¼ cup minced fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Zero Carb Carnivore Crisps (use code MARIA to save!)
- Peel and cube the eggplant. Place the eggplant, bacon, onion, jalapeño and garlic in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Stir-fry until the bacon is crisp and the eggplant is very soft, about 10 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the mixture to the food processor or blender and puree the mixture until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.
- Place onto a platter.
- Sprinkle with the cheese and cilantro, if using, and serve.
- Serve with THESE zero carb chips!
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. To reheat, place in a lightly greased skillet over medium heat for about 3 minutes, or heat to your liking.
- vegetarian option: Peel and slice the eggplant, wrap it in foil, and smoke it in a wood smoker for 2 hours. This gives the eggplant a natural bacon flavor without using bacon.
Traditional Re-fried Beans = 183 calories, 6.6g fat, 7g protein, 24g carbs, 6g fiber (18 effective carbs)
"Healthified" Re-fried "Beans" = 93 calories, 5.6g fat, 5.7g protein, 5.8g carbs, 2.6g fiber (3.2 effective carbs)
TESTIMONY OF THE DAY
“Hi Maria! I wanted to update you on my progress!
✅ down 40 pounds
✅ down 8 inches around my waist (I HATED my bloated belly) and many inches everywhere else
✅ no more heartburn or stomach issues
✅ inflammation cooled
✅ skin glows
✅ energy up
I see before pictures like this and I remember how miserable and uncomfortable I felt. I was bloated, self conscious and unhappy. I hated taking pictures, especially of my body, so there are not many. I was robbing myself of life and joy with every bite of unhealthy food and drink I that I ingested.
One day I was sitting on my couch after dinner and I felt awful. I can remember the moment so clearly. I could have laid down and went right to sleep. I finally made the direct connection between what I was eating and how I was feeling and I said no more. But I was lost. Nothing made sense. I had tried so many methods and nothing worked. Then the universe set about to bring the Emmerich’s into my life.
It all started with the book Keto. I started reading and I got excited! Finally something that made sense!! I am so thankful for this blessing. It changed every single thing.
This way of eating gave me my life back and there is no greater gift than that.” – Jenn