Happy 1/2 Birthday Craig!
Craig’s birthday is on Christmas Day… poor chap! Even I often get so excited about celebrating Christmas with the boys that Craig’s special day is often over-looked. And really… who needs another dessert on Christmas day? About 7 years ago I started celebrating his 1/2 birthday which is today! When I was growing up my mom made my favorite cake… dirt cake!
I was reminded of this cake with All Day I Dream About Food’s Dirt Cake post. It was made with crushed up Oreos, layered with Cool-Whip and filled with gummy worms. So I thought the boys would get a kick out of this cake and they sure did! They have never seen a gummy worm before so when I offered them my “healthified” ones they didn’t know what to think… they didn’t realize you could eat such a crazy-looking “food” but once they popped them in their mouth, they couldn’t get enough!
It is crazy how we eat with our eyes and kids are drawn to bright colored food. I always looked for things without added food coloring in them but Stur has created a wonderful product perfect for competing with food marketers out there. My kids often see these colorful “foods” that other kids are eating and Stur has made it possible for me to make “healthified” versions without any damaging food coloring (click HERE to read more on food-dyes).
NOTE: This is a very dense chocolate cake. The Dirt Cake I grew up on was crunchy bits of Oreo so it wasn’t a soft chocolate texture. I used this recipe because I usually cut nuts out of clients diet at first to help get into ketosis. But if you prefer a soft and very moist cake, check out my Zucchini Bundt Cake. It also tastes amazing and crumbles great for the chocolate cake layer.
- DIRT CAKE
- 7 oz unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped fine
- 2 cups butter or coconut oil
- 1 ¼ cup Swerve confectioners
- 1 tablespoon Stevia Glycerite (adjust to desired sweetness)
- 5 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or 1 vanilla bean scraped clean)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- CREAM FILLING
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon Stevia Glycerite (to taste)
- GUMMY WORMS
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoons STUR natural sweetener (any flavor, to taste)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1½ tablespoon Great Lakes gelatin (red canister)
- OPTIONAL: 1 teaspoon citric acid, for sour taste
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease an 8 inch pan and line with parchment paper (greased or mini muffin tins). Grease parchment paper. Brown the butter (if desired…tastes way better!) in a saucepan. Once the butter is brown (not black!), slowly add the chocolate (don’t burn the chocolate). Add the sweetener. Let cool in fridge. Once cool, add one egg at a time. Add the extracts. The batter may be lumpy at this time. Stir well using a hand mixer until very smooth. Pour into pie pan and bake for 20 minutes. Remove and allow to cool. Once cool, crumble into “dirt.”
- To make the cream layer, whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Add the softened cream cheese and sweetener to taste. Mix until creamy.
- To assemble, place 2 tablespoons of “dirt” into a small serving cup. Top with 2 tablespoons of the cream filling, then top with another 2 tablespoons of “dirt.” Garnish with “healthified” gummy worms if desired.
- To make the gummy worms, place the STUR natural sweetener in a heat-safe cup. Add the gelatin and stir until dissolved. Add the water. Heat in the microwave on high for 40 seconds or until boiling. Add citric acid if you would like a touch of "sour" taste. Stir well. Pour into gummy worm tray. Place in fridge until set.
Traditional Dirt Cake = 521 calories, 27.4g fat, 4.8g protein, 57g carbs
“Healthified” Dirt Cake = 331 calories, 41.4g fat, 5g protein, 2.2g carbs
(91% fat, 6% protein, 3% carbs)
Phone Client Testimony: “Maria. I am so excited ! I went to my dentist today to have an implant checked. He said my bone has grown so fast and asked me what I have been doing. He noticed I had lost a lot of weight also. I watched one of your videos on supplements and you said to take Vitamin k-2 for plaque.
My teeth have always been sensitive and my gums bleed.. No more!
I could tell the difference but I waited to see if the dentist could see a difference. He did ! OMG I can not believe how much I keep learning from you ! You are the best ! Many thanks to you for helping me take back my health.. I am so excited and happy !!!!!!” – Shirley