TESTIMONY OF THE DAY
HAQ Testimony Update: “Hello Maria and Craig!
I started following Keto Adapted in Mar-14 just taking it slowly by reading your book, blogs, recipes. I had to keep it simple since the rest of the family wasn’t fully on board 🙂 I then consulted with you.
Well I just got the results of my lab work and am amazed. I knew it was working from weight loss and feeling in general but this just confirmed it. I also have celiac so this was necessary to help with that. I am by no means perfect in my eating but I try to make choices one step at a time :). Here were the results:
The funny thing about this recipe is that I originally posted it on Facebook (on Keto Adapted) as a Milky Way. My friend Rebecca texted me and wrote, “shouldn’t it be a 3 Musketeers?”
I asked “What’s the difference?”
She said that a Milky Way has caramel!
AH! It has been a long time since I’ve had either!
Anyway, we do go trick-or-treating but what we do is the boys exchange the candy they gather for “healthified” ChocoPerfection bars and my homemade chocolates. My son Micah especially really doesn’t like it when his belly hurts so he prefers to not eat sugar. The time and effort to create a healthy Halloween is totally worth it!
- WHITE CHOCOLATE BAR:
- 2 oz cocoa butter
- 1/3 cup Natural Sweetener
- 1 tsp toffee extract or a few drops toffee oil
- 1/8 tsp Redmond Real salt
- MILK CHOCOLATE BAR:
- Add 1/4 oz unsweetened baking chocolate
- DARK CHOCOLATE BAR:
- Add 1/2 to 1 oz unsweetened baking chocolate depending on how dark you like it
- 1 cup coconut oil or butter room temperature
- 1¼ cup Natural Sweetener
- 4 1 oz squares unsweetened baking chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- 4 eggs
- Place cocoa butter in a double boiler and heat on medium high until fully melted (or microwave safe bowl and heat on high for one minute, check and heat for 30 seconds until melted). Melting cocoa butter takes longer than traditional fats.
- Stir in natural sweetener.
- Stir in extracts and salt.
- line the edges of truffle or candy bar mold with the chocolate leaving the center open for the filling to go in and then will put chocolate on top of filling to seal it. If the chocolate won't stay up the edges of the mold to line it, let set up just halfway by cooling it in the freezer for a minute or two and then smooth it around with finger to get the sides lined and ready to set and fill. Sometimes the chocolate is too oily and needs to set up slightly in order to stick to edges of candy mold.
- Cool in refrigerator until white chocolate is solid, about an hour. Or the speedy method; you can place the molds in a freezer till they are set up, which will only take a couple of minutes versus and hour.
- FILLING: Cream coconut oil or butter in a mixing bowl. Gradually beat in the natural sweetener with an electric mixer until light colored and well blended. Stir in the thoroughly cooled chocolate, vanilla and almond. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating 5 minutes on medium speed after each addition. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before making candy bars.
- TO MAKE Candy Bar: Remove the mold from the fridge or freezer and fill with filling. Then top off the filling with a layer of the cocoa butter mix so that the filling is inside and surrounded by the chocolate. Place back into fridge/freezer to set.
Traditional Milky Way = 200 calories, 9g fat, 2g protein, 28g carbs
"Healthified" Milky Way = 118 calories, 13.2g fat, 0.5g protein, 0.8g carbs
Click HERE to find ChocoPerfection on sale!
Do you have a link for the mold you use?
I’m curious about this too!
Here is my astore for candy molds: http://astore.amazon.com/marisnutran05-20?_encoding=UTF8&node=193
Hi Maria, I didn’t see any candy bar molds in your store? Was I missing something?
I have some here. 😉
Another awesome idea! We also have our kids trade in the candy they get for healthier versions. Trick or treating candy goes to a local dentist who pays the kids by the pound (awesome!), and candy from everywhere else – bank, hair cuts, etc (where DON’T kids get candy these days? It’s ridiculous, and honestly really annoying) gets traded for Chocoperfection, Lily’s chocolate, xylitol candy, or something similar.
Do you make an extra layer of chocolate for the second layer? Sorry, I didn’t fully understand. Thanks!
Yes. You want to cover the filling totally;)
Does coconut manna work?
I’m not sure. Sorry!
Coconut Manna is the same thing as coconut butter.
This looks awesome! Thanks!
Maria, I can’t seem to find this addressed anywhere on the internet. Sometimes when I use Swerve in dessert recipes, I end up up with white splotches on the dessert as it cools. It still tastes fine, it’s just an appearance thing. Any idea why this happens or a way to avoid?
Hmm, sounds like it didn’t get mixed up well. Not sure. 🙂
Any chance you can do a tasting party sometime Maria? I would like to try some of your best go to treats.
I have in the past but way too busy now;)
Maria- random off topic question but why does magnesium make some people (i.e. Me) not sleep well? I take magnesium glycinate and if I take it at night I don’t sleep well.
In rare occasions it is energizing. I too have to take it in the am.
I am curious about the raw eggs in the recipe. I assume you would need to keep them refrigerated? Also could you use pasteurized powdered eggs and almond milk for your raw eggs?
Yes. Keep refrigerated.
I’m not afraid of raw eggs: http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/choose-eggs/
Not sure about powdered eggs.
I was wondering if you truly meant cocoa butter or cacao butter (I am truly confused by what the difference is)?
Maria- those directions are not clear to me….can u check them? I see white chocolate….milk and dark…am I to start with the white chocolate ingredients then add ingredients to get to one I like? Then you say to line the bar molds and cool in refrigerator till ‘white Chocolate ‘ is solid….I’m assuming u mean 1 of the 3 kinds of chocolate….and then in the next direction for filling it says ‘Stir in the thoroughly cooled chocolate,’
…..from the mold? No…..so how and where is that ingredient direction?
I loooove 3 musketeers so much- I want to make theses…..help! lol I think I’m slow:-0
I fixed them:)