Try these delicious sandwich waffles.
1 cup almond flour
1 cup JAY ROBB vanilla egg white
1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt
1 TBS aluminum free baking powder
1 cup vanilla almond milk
4 TBS butter or coconut oil, melted
1 cup chopped ham (or cooked bacon)
1 cup freshly shredded cheese (I love sharp cheddar, but any kind works:)
Preheat waffle iron to high. Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Combine the wet ingredients in another bowl. Slowly add the wet ingredients into the dry. Let sit for 5 minutes. Bake according to your waffle iron directions (I spray my waffle iron with THIS Coconut oil spray). Enjoy! Makes 10 servings.
NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per serving)
Traditional Waffle = 247 calories, 27 carbs, 0.7g fiber
“Healthified” with Almond flour = 239 calories, 16.8g fat, 17g protein, 2.9 carbs, 1.5g fiber
Testimony of the Day
“Dear Maria, It has been a miraculous month full of wonders and discoveries since I started with our phone consult! Here is the list of what me, my husband and – believe it or not, lol! – 3 our cats achieved during this month:
1. Bowel improvement – regularity, pain, itching, blood, bloating, free. One of my cats used to get terrible constipation that would require physical assistance and medications and result in bleeding and other things that are completely gone now.
2. Candida clear – no more white tongue, runny/stuffed nose or itchy “downstairs”
3. Weight-loss (including our 3 cats who for some reason now started preferring our food – coconut cream as well btw! – to the high-carb cat food thing which they used to go crazy about because of the valerian root ingredient that has no more dramatic effect on them anymore). One of my clients I started working with recently told me yesterday, “I want to have a body like yours – looks so athletic, muscly, healthy!” And the last pair of jeans I got was size 0! Don’t worry, though, about me being too lean – I’m really short, 5 feet even))
4. No more teeth sensitivity
5. Skin improvement – hyper-pigmentation after oral contraceptives (which btw I’ve had from 2008 and couldn’t remove even with chemical peeling procedure – terrible thing, really! they would give me acid burn every 2 weeks from October till the middle of December! – or liver cleansing pills) is almost gone! Considerable acne and blackhead reduction – I still get some acne right before my period), no more excess grease. Noticeable skin turgor – it’s not as loose as it used to be, even my parents mentioned that!
6. Body temperature and blood pressure normalization – I used to be always cold, my normal body temperature was lower than normal people are supposed to have (35.1 instead of 36.6 C), same with blood pressure – 80/50 or even 80/- on a bad day sometimes which made me pale, dizzy, inactive, lazy… Now I’m always hot, my lips are red and even my cheeks pretty often get rosy!
7. Joint pain and cracking free – my husband’s joints have been a trouble for years and mine started killing me after the last surgery and antibiotics.
8. Muscle pain-free – in fact, much more flexible and responsive than ever!
9. The energy level is just fantastic! To be honest, I only felt this way on Prozac – happy and too energized. But it’s much better because I’m not on meds because there is no side effects like insomnia, handshaking and stomach issues. I sometimes get so much energy, I’m actually scared of myself, lol! My husband calls me Turbo-broom 😀 I wake up and fall asleep easily and get those precious 8 hours! I feel fantastic both physically and emotionally! I can say the same thing about my cats who become much more playful and energetic lately! My husband just offered to go on the last bike ride this year – and it’s only 39 degrees F today!
10. Clear mind – my mind has been foggy for years now, my memory was terrible and not only would I forget events or people from some years ago but even some simple words, like everyday things, used to have troubles with grammar while speaking – it feels completely different now! Memory is sharp, attention is focused, even the abilities to taste and smell things increased, and all the other things one needs to feel great!
11. Great economy! First at got expensive – meat/fish/seafood is more expensive than grains, fruit, and veggies. But now that the consumption of food has reduced drastically – I only need coffee with coconut cream and oil in the morning and one (rarely two) meal/s a day. The meal size is smaller too – don’t need that much anymore. Same with cats! And I don’t need that huge cup of coffee, just a small cup, about 4-5 sips.
11. My cooking skills improved, even though I’ve always loved cooking but it’s gotten to a brand new level with your helpful tips, advice and detailed instructions! All the things I cooked according to your recipes we just loved!
Thank you for teaching me this way – a real godsend way for me and all my family! And you’ve made it so easy and understandable! You are making a difference in a great way! God bless you and your wonderful family!
Meanwhile, have a Happy Thanksgiving and take those huge thanks from our family!” Irena
To start on your path to health and healing, click HERE.
KETO DURING PREGNANCY
I get a ton of emails a few months after these consults telling me that they are ecstatic and are now pregnant but are wondering about what to eat now. As if this diet of REAL food would be harmful to a fetus. There are many reasons why to not add in certain foods like gluten and dairy. Many times when cravings get the best of pregnant clients and they consume these foods, the auto-immune response results in a miscarriage. But even if the clients are committed to staying away from gluten and dairy, they often worry that too low of carbs is bad for the fetus. You will never find evidence of this, but you will read it all over the web. The information that clients read has a few flaws:
1. A huge mistake is when people and doctors compare benign dietary ketosis to diabetic ketoacidosis. You can produce ketones in a starvation state. So instead of using a well-formulated low carb diet, they starved pregnant rats to get them into ketosis. The flaw in that evidence should be obvious.
2. The last form of this “evidence” is when they sliced up the brains of rat fetuses and saturated them in ketones. What happened was that the brain cells lived but it stopped producing new brain cells. This is thought to be evidence that ketosis causes retardation.
Now let’s dive into the facts. The lean human body is 74% fat and 26% protein by calories. Fats are a structural part of every human cell and the preferred fuel source of the mitochondria, the energy-burning units of each cell. A fetus naturally uses ketones before and immediately after birth. Many studies done on pregnant pigs that are placed on ketogenic diets have fetuses with “increased fetal brain weight, cell size, and protein content. In the early stages of pregnancy, there is an upsurge in body fat accumulation, which is connected to hyperphagia and increased lipogenesis.
In the later stages of pregnancy, there is an accelerated breakdown of fat depots, which plays an important role in fetal development. The fetus uses transported placental fatty acids as well as two other products: glycerol and ketone bodies. Even though glycerol crosses the placenta in slight proportions, it is a superior substrate for “maternal gluconeogenesis” (remember earlier, I discuss regular gluconeogenesis where we make glucose from protein when needed which is the preferred way of making glucose), and maternal glucose is the main substrate crossing the placenta. Heightened ketogenesis in fasting conditions or with the addition of MCT oils, creates an easy transference of ketones to the fetus which allows maternal ketone bodies to reach the fetus, where the ketones can be used as fuels for oxidative metabolism as well as lipogenic substrates.
During pregnancy, women become even more sensitive to carbohydrates due to an evolutionary adaption in which they become slightly insulin resistant to allow a positive flow of nutrients to the developing fetus through the placenta. If the mom was more insulin sensitive than the fetus we could end up in a nutrient shortage situation. Biology fixes this problem by making mom a little insulin resistant, effectively “pushing” nutrients to the fetus. This rationalizes just how important feeding you and your fetus a nutrient-dense ketogenic diet is.
Breast-milk is naturally very high in fat as compared to a baby formula which is high in carbohydrates and sugar; causing babies to be addicted to sugar early in life. If a newborn is breastfed, it spends a lot of time in ketosis, and therefore keto-adapted. Keto-adapted babies can efficiently turn ketone bodies into acetyl-CoA and into myelin. Ketosis helps babies develop and build their brains. I love it when my clients continue to consume those “fat bombs” they ate to get pregnant because the coconut oil helps with the baby because coconut oil has anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties which keep the mother and baby healthy. The extra coconut oil also helps with lactation, but more importantly, the coconut oil increases lauric acid in breast milk. Lauric acid is a rare medium-chain fatty acid found in human breast milk that supports a healthy metabolism. Read more about this in my new book Keto-Adapted.
Click HERE to get a limited edition of the Hard Cover.
Click HERE to get a softcover.
Thank you all for your love and support!
Hi. I made these this morning and had to toss them 🙁
They came out falling apart and burnt. The texture was horrible. This is the first time I’ve used almond meal. Can you tell me what I possibly could have done wrong?
Well, I don’t recommend almond meal…this is a grainy texture. I only recommend almond flour, which is very soft like a white flour.
Also, here is a video of me making the waffles:http://vimeo.com/38189514
The type of waffle iron will also be important…
I’m really sorry you didn’t like them.
The package reads Almond Meal/Flour. I didn’t realize there was just Almond Flour.
I even went out and purchased a new square waffle iron(do they would look like yours). I have one that you have pictured on a link but your waffles weren’t shaped like that.
I’ll take a look at the video. Thanks!
I watched your video and noticed you didn’t add the cheese or ham. I added these items and the batter was so thick. Also noticed how runny your batter was. I guess I’ll try it without those items and see if it makes a difference. I was so excited to be able to make these instead of the processed ones. I’ve been buying vans natural gluten free ones for some time now but home made is always better!
I made these for the first time yesterday with the Bobb’s Red Mill almond meal/flour because it’s all I could find at the grocery store. I sifted the flour/meal into the batter as the last item and then finished blending. They turned out great! My kids said they tasted like a soft waffle cone and my husband said they reminded him of Eggo Waffles. When he saw that I was making homemade waffles, he was expecting them to be fluffy like when they are made with Bisquik. He said he misses starch and carbs. I said, you will thank me in the long run! =)
Thank you! What a good mom! I think feeding your family healthy food is the best thing you can do for them in life! Happy baking! 🙂
Saw this adjusted recipe just in time; brand new waffle maker, 2 differing recipes bookmarked. I’ll have to make a new batch of dry mix; caught that just in time, whew. 1C almond flour vs 2C mentioned in the recipe I was using, *gah! Any way to edit that on the blog post? Here goes; hoping for some delicious waffles! TY Maria.
I made these and saved some of them for later. Unfortunately they were very dry and hard. I’m going to try with 1 more egg and less of the protein powder next time. Then maybe they will be softer and fluffier.
Do you think if I used the Jay Robb chocolate egg white powder if would be fine and just a chocolate waffle?
Is a serving one or two waffles, and is it a ‘sandwich’ with no other meat than the ham & cheese? Thanks!
2 waffles without additions yet.