Low Carb Sweet and Sour Chicken
Low Carb Sweet and Sour Chicken
About a year ago Craig created this amazing BBQ sauce using Yacon Syrup which made me think about adapting his recipe to make the perfect Sweet-n-Sour sauce for my low carb sweet and sour chicken.
What is Yacon Syrup you ask? It is a very thick syrup that is fresh pressed from the Yacon ro
ot (Smallanthus sonchifolius) and has been consumed for centuries in Peru.
Not that I’m a fan or you can trust everything he says, but Dr. Oz even did a segment on his show about how awesome Yacon Syrup is.
You can use Yacon Syrup has a wonderful thick and smooth texture to create a perfect mouth-feel in my Sweet-n-Sour sauce.
Click HERE to find Yacon.
My boys devoured this recipe and they are like me… we are not huge fans of chicken!
Low Carb Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe
- 6oz tomato paste
- 1½ cups water or beef/chicken broth (boxed will work, but bone broth will be thicker and you will not need guar gum to thicken)
- ¼ cupcoconut vinegar
- ⅓ cup Swerve confectioners
- 1 TBS yacon syrup
- ¾ tablespoon fresh squeezed lime or lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon fish sauce
- ½ teaspoon fine ground sea salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- OPTIONAL: ¼ teaspoon guar gum (to thicken)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1½ cup (6 ounces) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into nuggets
- 1 cup coconut oil, for frying
- OPTIONAL GARNISH:
- with green onion and serve over Miracle Rice
- To make the Sweet-n-Sour Sauce, place all the ingredients in a medium size saucepan over medium heat. Stir until well combined and heated through.
- Allow mixture to boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to a simmer and let cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool. Add guar gum to thicken if desired. Pour into glass jar and refrigerate until ready to use. The sauce will make 12 servings.
- Preheat a deep cast iron skillet with 1 cup coconut oil (or reserved bacon fat to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, mix the eggs. In another medium bowl, mix the cheese and pepper.
- Cut the chicken into bite sized nuggets. Dip the nugget into the egg mixture, then into the cheese mixture. Coat each nugget well.
- Once the oil is hot, fry nuggets in batches for about 5 minutes or until no longer pink inside and you have a nice golden color on the batter. Timing will depend on how big you make the nuggets.
- BAKING OPTION: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown. Timing will depend on how big you make the nuggets.
- Remove chicken from heat. Reheat sauce if it was stored in the fridge. Coat chicken in ½ cup of the Sweet n Sour sauce. Serve over Miracle Rice.
Traditional Sweet n Sour Chicken = 734 calories, 27g fat, 49g protein, 89g carbs
“Healthified” Sweet n Sour Chicken = 456 calories, 26.6g fat, 49g protein, 4g carbs
(53% fat, 43.5% protein, 3.5% carbs)
I am more like you than you realize… you can find me opening a Kettle and Fire organic beef broth instead of making my own broth quite often.
Kettle & Fire have setup a special deal for our followers. Get $10 off your first order! Just just CLICK HERE to get this great deal!