- 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup coconut milk or 1 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon maple extract (or vanilla extract)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Redmond Real salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup Natural Sweetener confectioners
- 2 teaspoons Further Food gelatin
- 1/4 cup hot water
- CRUST: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch pie pan. In a medium bowl, mix ingredients. This will be a thick pie dough, press onto bottom of a pie pan. Place in oven to pre-bake the crust. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- FILLING: In a large mixing bowl, dissolve gelatin in 1/4 cup boiling water. Combine pumpkin, coconut milk, cinnamon, maple flavoring, ginger, nutmeg, Swerve, and salt; mix into the gelatin. Pour into a pie shell. Cover the edges of the pie with aluminum foil (otherwise, it will burn). Bake at 350 degrees F for 70 minutes or until set in the middle.
- Top with whipped cream or coconut cream and enjoy! Store covered in refrigerator.
Did you know that in 90% of cases, hypothyroidism is an autoimmune disease? Did you know that autoimmune thyroid disease and is linked to gluten intolerance? Hashimoto’s and Graves’ are most likely caused by gluten intolerance.
What happens is that the cell structure of gliadin (the protein in gluten) resembles the thyroid gland. If you don’t have a healthy intestinal lining, you can create holes; enter Leaky Gut. When this happens food leaks into the bloodstream and since your blood doesn’t know what the substances are, it puts your immune system into overdrive to kill the foreign substance (this is why I have my clients get a thyroid ‘antibody’ test; it helps determine if there is a food allergy). So if you are eating skim milk and cereal for breakfast, you will most likely have a dairy and wheat allergy.
These antibodies produced to attach the gliadin in the blood, also causes the body to attack the thyroid. If you continue to eat gluten, your immune system will attack your thyroid. Some clients mistakenly think they can eat small amounts of bread or gluten on the weekend or at a party, BUT nope. The immune response to gluten can last up to 6 months every time you consume it. In order to stop the destruction of the thyroid, you have to be 100% gluten-free. Gluten, even “whole grains,” contain phytates that damage our intestinal lining and inhibit nutrient absorption.
Many people make the mistake of running to their doctor for an allergy blood-test to find out if a food allergy is the root of their problems. The main issue with this is that blood tests are about 90 percent INACCURATE! Crazy but true. If I notice a food sensitivity with a client, our success comes by an elimination diet along with nutrition therapy of enhancing vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. It is also helpful to consult a doctor, but don’t wait for a blood test to tell you what will make you feel your best; start now instead. If anything, I recommend a stool test.
1 in 3 Americans is gluten intolerant. In some clients with autoimmune disease, their immune system is so worn out they can no longer produce many antibodies. This is why everyone should kick the gluten regardless of antibody test results.