NOTE: I don’t use regular store brand gelatin. I use Great Lakes Gelatin. It is made from pastured cows in Argentina that have not been treated with antibiotics or hormones. I bought a HUGE amount (gelatin doesn’t spoil!)
According to Nourishing Traditions and the Weston A. Price foundation, there are various health benefits to Gelatin, including:
1. Can improve digestion since it naturally binds to water and helps food move more easily though the digestive track.
2. Good for joints and can decrease pain associated with arthritis.
3. Can help tighten loose skin. I get questions all the time on how to do this! Here is one trick!
4. Supports skin, hair and nail growth.
5. Great source of dietary collagen, therefore it helps reduce cellulite! (BEAUTY TIP: do not waste your money on topical creams that claim to reduce cellulite. Collagen is too large to be absorbed by the skin, so those skin creams are a waste of money. Consume it internally and use almond or coconut oil for lotion).
6. Speeds wound healing: Gelatin is mainly composed of the amino acids glycine and proline, which many people don’t consume in adequate amounts as they are found in the bones, fibrous tissues and organs of animals and as a population, we don’t consume these parts as much anymore. These amino acids are needed not only for proper skin, hair and nail growth but for a healthy immune function and weight regulation! Glycine, which makes up about 1/3 of the amino acids in gelatin powder is anti-inflammatory and evidence is finding that it can help speed wound healing.
7. Helps with sleep: Glycine in gelatin can also help improve the quality of sleep.
8. Balances hormones: We are living in a “Sea of Estrogen” (yes, even men!), which can be caused by consuming alcohol, excess carbohydrates, hormones in food, phytoestrogens in soy, xenoestrogens found in plastics, heating food in plastic, even soap are estrogenic. This hormonal imbalance causes aging, inflammation, and infertility. Gelatin has anti-estrogenic effects which can help offset the effects of excess estrogen in the body.
9. Weight Loss: It boosts Human Growth Hormone production and boosts metabolism. The largest surge of Human Growth Hormone is 30-70 minutes after bed (I write all about the Human Growth Hormone in my book: Secrets to a Healthy Metabolism).
To help with weight loss, do not eat 3 hours before bed to let the natural rise of Human Growth Hormone happen (or insulin will stop the natural rise) and consume at least 1 tablespoon of gelatin powder before bed. You can eat it plain, but I recommend mixing into a cup of ‘sleepy time’ tea by dissolving at least 1 TBS in about 1/3 cup cold water and then adding 2/3 cup of the steeped tea.
So Gelatin is a super supplement!
You may notice that my Velveeta is NOT orange like traditional cheese. This is because I used a white cheddar.
- ½ cup organic butter
- ¾ cup organic beef broth (store bought works)
- 2 tsp Great Lakes gelatin
- 3½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ tsp Celtic sea salt
- Prepare a small bread loaf pan by lining the inside with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place the butter in a large saucepan and heat on high while stirring often until butter froths and brown flecks appear (not black! lol).
- Remove from heat.
- Place the broth in a bowl and sprinkle gelatin over it. Sift and allow gelatin to soften for a few minutes.
- Stir broth into the hot butter until well combined. Be careful, it might splatter a little with the how hot the butter is.
- Add in the shredded cheese and stir until combined.
- Place into a blender or food processor (I used my blendtec but THIS food processor works also) and puree until smooth.
- Place mixture into prepared loaf pan. Cover and place in fridge overnight.
- Slice into pieces or use in recipes in place of Velveeta.
Traditional Velveeta =
"Healthified" Velveeta = 102 calories, 9.4g fat, 4.3g protein, 0.2g carbs
(82.8% fat, 16.6% protein, 0.6% carbs)
TESTIMONY OF THE DAY
30 Day Accelerated Testimony: “Hi Maria, I’ve seen so many testimonies I thought it was time to share mine. I purchased the 30 day accelerated program and I’m rounding out my final week. Other than losing about 13 pounds I have noticed the biggest shift in the inches I have lost since I started my new approach to the food I consume.
Though I did not take measurements (kicking myself for not doing it!) I have received compliments and can see the biggest difference in how my clothes fit. I attend Pilates classes weekly and my instructor cannot stop raving about the positive body shifts and more strength she has seen this month. I’m doing things a month ago I never would have been able to attempt!
I have also experienced mood stabilization after being in a fairly deep depressive state for too long-and my family has benefited from this more than I have. I am getting longer and better quality of sleep and my focus is better at work. I have also noticed my body healing in ways I did not expect.
I had been chemically “treating” a planter wart on my right foot for at least 2 years, and last week after no treatment at all for at least 3 months I noticed the entire wart just fell out. It was almost unbelievable. I injured my left foot in 2009 and suffered from intermittent pain and swelling at the location of the injury. I noticed this weekend that the foot had not bothered me at all in a long time and the scar’s redness had faded quite a bit.
Now, I tend to be a skeptical person, especially when reading testimonies and things such as that, but I am seeing and feeling the positive changes in my life and that it motivation to continue commitment for a better me! Thank you!” Cassie
“I love this lifestyle! I didn’t think I liked grilled fish or avocados. Boy was I wrong! I just had to be open-minded and it’s amazing how good I feel eating healthy! I have been on this lifestyle for 2 weeks and have lost 7 lbs and 3 inches from my waist! My husband makes me sick he is just doing the meals at night and cut out the pop & sweet tea; so he hasn’t cut all carbs or wheat products and has lost 12 lbs!” – Tiffany
Get started today like Tiffany did!