Easy Tomato Soup and Grilled CHEESE
When I was growing up, my favorite lunch was a grilled cheese sandwich made with Wonder Bread and Campbell’s tomato soup. I adored it.
I love this creative twist on my favorite childhood tomato soup and grilled cheese lunch because not only is it super simple to make, it also tastes amazing and is ketogenic!
For the Grilled CHEESE, I used Halloumi cheese! This cheese is a slightly rubbery and firm cheese that is delicious but on the salty side. It has a unique quality: you can grill or fry it! When heated, Halloumi gets creamy, and the saltiness declines into a robust savory morsel. It serves as the perfect “grilled cheese sandwich” without the bread! Click HERE to find!
We used THIS mini chaffle maker to make the Grilled CHEESE! YUM!
This kid classic recipe can be found in my book Quick and Easy Ketogenic Recipes!
My son helped me make a YouTube video of this delicious and easy Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese!
Click HERE to subscribe to our keto YouTube Channel and tell your friends! Its a FREE and fun way to learn keto!
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or coconut oil
- ¼ cup finely chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic, or cloves from ½ head roasted garlic
- 1 cup chicken bone broth (I used Kettle & FIre brand)
- 4 ounces (½ cup) cream cheese, softened (Kite Hill brand if dairy free)
- 1 (14½-ounce) can diced tomatoes, or 1 large tomato, diced (with juices)
- 1½ cups tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon stevia glycerite (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- GRILLED CHEESE:
- ½ pound Halloumi cheese
- IF NEEDED: 1 tablespoon MCT oil or melted unsalted butter
- GARNISHES FOR SOUP
- ¼ cup sour cream or crème fraîche
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- To make the soup: Heat the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until soft, about 4 minutes,
- stirring often.
- Whisk in the broth, softened cream cheese, tomatoes (including juices), tomato sauce, basil, stevia, and pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally; do not allow it to come to a boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat and puree the soup with an immersion blender until smooth. Return the pan to low heat and cover to keep warm while you make the grilled cheese.
- Preheat a skillet, grill pan, CHAFFLE WAFFLE MAKER or panini maker to medium-high heat. Slice the chunk of cheese into ¼-inch-thick slices. Brush each side with the oil. Place in the hot skillet, grill pan, or panini maker and
- cook for 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown (and with grill marks if using a grill pan or panini maker).
- Remove the cheese slices from the pan or panini maker and serve with the tomato soup. Garnish each bowl of soup with a tablespoon of sour cream and a few basil leaves, if desired.
TESTIMONY OF THE DAY
Most people I consult are doing keto totally wrong. Get fast results with the my NEW Keto Packages!