Butter Pecan Trifle
Many of you know this already, but it is Craig’s birthday on Christmas Day! I’ve always tried to make it special and I have even celebrated on his half birthday! I always tell him that he is lucky because he always gets off work on his birthday! That’s not necessarily true anymore because we work just about everyday, but we love it!
Anyway, I always make a few keto desserts to bring to our family’s Christmas celebrations and this year I’m making trifles! I love Trifles for many reasons! For one, I love the creamy filling more than cake! And a keto trifle is just one excuse to have more filling!
Click HERE to subscribe to our keto YouTube Channel and tell your friends! Its a FREE and fun way to learn keto!
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 5 oz cream cheese, softened (or Kite Hill cream cheese spread if dairy allergy)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups pecan meal
- ¾ cup erythritol
- 1 tsp stevia glycerite
- ½ tsp Celtic sea salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 TBS vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups heavy cream (or my dairy free cream, click HERE)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (or Kite Hill cream cheese spread if dairy free)
- ½ cup Swerve confectioners (or equivalent)
- OPTIONAL:1 teaspoon English Toffee Better Stevia
- 1 teaspoonsbutterscotch extract (or vanilla)
- OPTIONAL CARAMEL LAYER (click HERE)
- Chopped Pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8" by 8" pan with coconut oil, or spray with coconut oil cooking spray. Place a cut square of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan.
- Place the butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Stirring often, heat until the butter foams up and brown (but not black!) flecks appear. Remove from the heat and allow to cool a bit. This brown butter creates a caramel-like flavor to the cake.
- Place brown butter into a large bowl and use a hand mixer to beat in softened cream cheese with until smooth. Add the natural sweetener. Whisk together dry ingredients. Add eggs one at a time to cream cheese mixture, and beat until smooth. Add dry ingredients and vanilla. Fold in nuts. Pour mixture into prepared pan, and smooth top with a spatula. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, and top feels firm to the touch. When done, place pan on wire rack and cool completely. Cool cake overnight in the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile make the filling and the caramel. Place the heavy cream into a large bowl (or blender) and beat with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form. Add the softened cream cheese and sweetener. Add the extract. Taste and adjust sweetness to your liking. Set aside.
- To make the caramel layer if using, click HERE.
- Cut the cake into one inch pieces and place ½ of the cake pieces into a large trifle bowl. Place ½ of the cream cheese layer on top of the cake slices. Top with a layer of caramel if using. Then repeat layers one more time. Top with a garnish of crushed pecans. Place in the fridge until ready to serve.
297 calories, 30g fat, 4g protein, 3g carbs, 1g fiber
TESTIMONY OF THE DAY
I had more than 17 but some took longer to resolve:
Most people I consult are doing keto totally wrong. Get fast results with the my NEW Keto School!