The Best KETO PANCAKES
I’m am a bit frustrated this morning. I just talked to a new phone client who was on an acid blocker for acid reflux and it wasn’t working… so guess what? The doctor decided to ADD another one on top of that!
Definition of insanity: “Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” Albert Einstein
SO MANY people now are popping TUMS or acid blockers like they were an “after-dinner mint.” I want you to understand there are so many side effects to these. When you have acid reflex, what is happening is poor digestion, in part because the food you are eating no longer contains the enzymes needed to digest it.
Inadequate chewing and low levels of digestive enzymes will cause this gooey mix of “food” to lay in the stomach to ferment, which causes the stomach to expand and increase gas. As the gas rises, it gets trapped in the esophagus causing swelling and chest pain. This pressure overloads the stomach and pulls the gastro esophageal valve to the point where it opens. This abused valve allows stomach acid up into the esophagus. The esophagus doesn’t contain acid secreting cells like the stomach so this causes burning in the esophagus, which can mimic signs of a heart attack.
The stomach has cells that secrete acid; it is required to breakdown proteins into its usable pieces of amino acids. When acid production is inhibited, food isn’t digested. Instead, food remains in the stomach, fermenting by bacteria. The undigested brat bun (carbohydrates) ferments, undigested chips (fats) become rancid and the undigested brat (proteins) putrefy. This causes bloating, gas, and indigestion and over time malnutrition.When we go down the path of eating foods devoid of live nutrients, it results in acid reflux and any acid in the stomach hurts.
Prescription antacids decrease the pain but not without consequences. Antacids actually become addictive, resulting in a massive increase in stomach acid when you stop them. Your body constantly tries to make stomach acid (when you take anti-acid meds because you NEED IT), so it pumps out extra levels of a hormone called Gastrin that stimulates stomach acid. Therefore, when you stop antacids, the stomach makes huge amounts of acid. Which the pharmaceutical companies love because you are now addicted and don’t know what else to do.If you still think the problem is too much acid, think about this…The older people get the more likely they are to use antacids. This is interesting as stomach acid production decreases dramatically as people get older and we produce less digestive enzymes (which is why we lose the ability to taste foods).
SIDE EFFECTS OF ACID BLOCKERS:
1. FOOD POISONING: One of the main jobs of stomach acid is to kill harmful pathogens that may be present in the food before they can make you sick. If you consistently take acid blockers, you are susceptible to food poisoning.
2. OSTEOPOROSIS: Without stomach acid, your body is not able to digest food properly and you become nutritionally deficient. You can’t strip the calcium from your food and this will weaken your bones.
3. METABOLISM: They block the absorption of thyroid hormone.
4. REFLUX: Ironically, blocking stomach acid may also contribute to acid reflux!
5. IRON DEFICIENCY: You can’t absorb iron (which is essential for carrying oxygen to the mitochondria of our cells). An iron deficiency = restless legs, low energy, decreased ability to oxidize fat when you work out! BAD BAD BAD
6. B-12 DEFICIENCY: This can cause anemia, fatigue, constipation, brain fog, and nerve issues. One of my clients couldn’t feel his feet because of over use of acid blockers.
7. OTHER DEFICIENCIES: Being unable to absorb amino acids and healthy fats will increase depression, dementia, anemia, neurological issues, stomach cancer, arthritis… shall I go on?
STEPS TO HEAL:
1. Drink small amounts of room temperature water while eating. Drinking large amounts of cold beverages dilutes your digestive enzymes.
2. Skip the coffee, carbonated beverages, alcohol and aspirin until your intestines are healed.
3. Add in Aloe Vera supplements; it naturally repairs the damage that was done to the esophagus safely. Aloe Vera’s major ingredient buffers pH+ and it naturally speeds the healing process.
4. DECREASE Foods that cause the problems: food chemicals, vegetable oils, sugar, and starch. It could also be a food allergy/sensitivity; in this case eliminate gluten or the food causing the issue.
5. Eat foods that heal the intestines: coconut oil, bone broth, and any “healthified” recipe that has no sugar.
6. Add in supplements to heal the intestines so you can enjoy food again! Click HERE to get a detailed supplement regime to heal your acid reflux for good!
Here is a great testimony about these pancakes:
“We really like the keto pancakes and recently I started adding unsweetened cocoa powder to them in a portion equal to the sweetener. My kids LOVE them! My nine year old went from eating two of them for breakfast to four. This is a boy who, due to ADHD meds, hadn’t gained a pound in two years and generally doesn’t have much of an appetite. He’s off the meds and eating GREAT!” Matt
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 pinch nutmeg
1 pinch cinnamon
1 tsp stevia glycerite (or 1/4 cup Swerve)
OPTIONAL: Thinner pancake, add 1/4 cup vanilla almond milk
Mix these ingredients and let them sit for five minutes. Oil or grease up your pan and heat over medium heat. Pour batter onto hot pan and brown before flipping it. Cook until golden brown on both sides. Makes 2 servings
NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per serving)
Traditional Pancakes = 371 calories, 50g carbs, 2g fiber, 8g protein
“Healthified” Pancakes = 208 calories, 11g fat, 14g protein, 8.9g carbs, 5.1g fiber (50% fat, 27% protein, 17% carbs)
Eating out and making healthy choices for your body can be tough! Clients often complain about acid reflux after a dining out experience; could it be hidden wheat in the OMELETS? YEP! IHOP adds pancake batter to their omelets. That’s right – they add sugar, carbs and WHEAT to their eggs for the omelet base for “fluffiness”… yuck!
Testimony of the Day
“In October 2102 I started on the path to having gastric bypass surgery after years of yo-yo dieting and being overweight since around age 8-9. I did everything from doctor supervised to phen-fen to WW to Medifast. My best weight loss was from Medifast but it quickly became too expensive and really was icky to drink shakes all day!
I had an initial health assessment and consult with Maria. I immediately stopped my diet coke addiction (over 40 oz a day) – that was the hardest one for me. During this time we started eating less wheat and sugar and by January 15th I got rid of all the grain products and went wheat free.
Since that consult with Maria in early January through today I’ve lost 51 lbs. The first 40 came of rather quickly and the last 11 have been slower, but are still coming off at about 1 to 1.5 lbs a week. All this with little exercise (since I’m allergic to it! Ha, Ha, Ha!) I canceled my WLS that was scheduled for April 2013 and couldn’t be happier. My moods are improved, I’m sleeping great, my body doesn’t ache all the time, my hands and feet aren’t always cold, I’ve not had a headache or acid reflux since late January, and my PMS is much better. I was experiencing facial ticks and vertigo type symptoms daily and the doctor didn’t know why but within 10 days of getting off the Diet Coke, they were gone and haven’t been back.
I still have a long way to go (another 75 lbs maybe) but am now confident I have the right knowledge and the right nutritionist (Maria) to help guide me. Maria’s books, blog posts, and facebook page are great and full of eye-opening insights. We like most of her recipes I’ve made – especially the treats! I would love to be able to afford one-on-one consults but our budget only allowed for the basic health assessment and email consult. Of all the things I’ve done to shed the pounds, paying Maria (including books, cookbooks, and one seminar) was the best money I’ve ever spent. Wish I would have found Maria sooner – I would have saved a ton of money on wasted programs. -Paula”
To get started on your path to health, click HERE.