Keto Crunchy Top Potatoes
One of my favorite Thanksgiving foods in my former fat life was Crunch Top Cheesy Potatoes. One of the main ingredients was Cream of Chicken Soup. Knowledge is power; now that I am aware of what certain foods do, I am able to get past the cravings!
CAMPBELL’S HEALTHY REQUEST® CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP INGREDIENTS = CHICKEN STOCK, WATER, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, CHICKEN MEAT, MALTODEXTRIN, CREAM (MILK), CONTAINS LESS THAN 1% OF WHEAT FLOUR, VEGETABLE OIL, SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CORNSTARCH, SALT, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, LOWER SODIUM NATURAL SEA SALT, FLAVORING, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, CHICKEN FAT, YEAST EXTRACT, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, DISODIUM INOSINATE, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, SPICE, BETA CAROTENE (FOR COLOR), DEHYDRATED CHICKEN.
MSG is a slow poison and it is in everything; Lay’s potato chips, Doritos, Campbell’s soups, Ramen, Canned Gravy, frozen dinners, frozen pizzas, salad dressings (especially low-fat varieties). Tons of ‘reduced’ or ‘no-fat’ foods are laced with MSG to make up for the flavor lost when fat is reduced. If you don’t see MSG on the label, you still aren’t safe; the word ‘Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein’,’Accent, ‘Aginomoto,’ ‘Natural Meat Tenderizer,’ is just a sneaky name for MSG. Glutamic acid in MSG is known as an excitotoxin; this means it excites the brain cells. It causes brain cells to fire too much until they are exhausted and die.
This causes us to be addicted to the MSG ‘fix,’ which is why Lay’s Potato Chips claim, “I bet you can’t eat just one.” Lay’s knows they have the upper hand on your brain chemistry. This excitotoxin effect in our brain causes ADHD, autism, and Alzheimer’s. This process of over-exciting the brain depletes our brain of serotonin (the feel-good chemical in our brain and gut). Headaches and migraines are the main complaints of MSG consumption, which makes sense because low serotonin is the Migraine headaches are caused in part by changes in the level of serotonin. Serotonin plays many roles in the body, one of which is the effect on blood vessels. When serotonin levels are high, blood vessels constrict (shrink). When serotonin levels fall, the blood vessels dilate (swell). This swelling can cause pain or other problems. Many things can affect the level of serotonin in your body, including your level of blood sugar, certain foods, and changes in your estrogen level if you’re a woman.
MSG downregulates our body’s leptin production (our appetite suppression), so it makes us hungry sooner. Hoe can this be? Well, MSG stimulates the pancreas, which in turn increases insulin production even though there is no need for insulin. This will cause our blood sugar to rise too much and then drop. When our blood sugar drops, hunger is stimulated (which is why you don’t want to eat too many carbohydrates either). Overproduction of insulin will cause insulin resistance, diabetes and obesity.
- 1 head cauliflower
- Optional: ¼ cup diced onion
- CHEESE SAUCE:
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 TBS Cream Cheese
- ¼ cup beef/chicken broth
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Sea salt and pepper (to taste)
- ½ cup crushed almonds
- ¼ cup almond flour (or pork dust)
- 2 TBS butter or coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- To make the "POTATOES": Place cauliflower flowerets in a food processor. Pulse until larger "rice" sized pieces (click HERE to find the one I use) (or shred with a cheese grater to resemble shredded potatoes). Transfer the cauliflower to a 2½ quart casserole dish and stir in diced onion if desired.
- CHEESE SAUCE: In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in cream cheese and broth. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the cheeses, stirring until cheese is melted. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat, pour over the veggie, and stir to combine.
- TOPPING: In a small bowl, toss together crushed almonds, almond flour, and remaining butter, and sprinkle over the cheesy cauliflower. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the top is golden and cauliflower if tender. Makes 8 servings. I LOVE THIS DISH!
Traditional Crunchy Top Potatoes = 370 calories, 27g fat, 12g protein, 19 carbs, 3g fiber
"Healthified" Crunchy Top "Potatoes" = 307 calories, 27g fat, 12g protein, 5.6 carbs, 3g fiber
TESTIMONY OF THE DAY
“Today is my 4 year keto anniversary!!SW: 240, CW: 160I came to this lifestyle on 11 medications and was taking 45 pills a day— ulcerative colitis, high rheumatoid factor, facial pain (trigeminal neuralgia), fibromyalgia.I have eliminated 9 medications and have maintained 80 pounds lost; It amazes me that I have kept the weight off for 3+ years now!Even while taking courses of prednisone, my weight stays steady and I attribute it to Emmerich Keto and prioritizing protein through it all.I am still working through some health issues but it would all be SO.MUCH.WORSE with 9 more medications & 80+ extra pounds thrown in the mix.. and I truly believe I would have continued gaining, had I not found you!Thank you Craig & Maria for helping me find food freedom and freedom from yo-yo dieting! I so appreciate all that you do!“ Julee