I am blessed to live very close to a special river. If you know where I live you probably know which one I am talking about, but in order to keep my sanctuary quiet, I’m not going to say which one (please don’t be mad, I was the ONLY kayak on the river the day I took these photos!) A few years back on July 19th, it was Micah’s 2nd birthday. I had the opportunity to meet him in Ethiopia that May but the US Embassy wouldn’t let us bring him home. They told us it would only be 4 weeks until we could go back to Ethiopia to bring him and Kai back to the US, but it ended up being 6 months. During this waiting period, I grieved and worried about them daily. Missing Micah’s birthday was extremely hard to I decided to kayak the quiet river by myself and take a “personal day.”
Well, Mother Nature was not my friend that day and I should have listened to her when she spoke to me as I started my trek. As I put my boat in the water, her clouds “thundered” at me, but I’m German… yep, stubborn. I had a plan and I was sticking to it! Besides, I already had my bike at the end of the river so I could paddle to the end, leave my boat at the end of my trip, bike back to my car, put my bike on my car, drive to get the boat, then drive home… yes, it is a hard process to paddle by yourself! But I LOVE IT!
About 2 miles down the river I had some massive lightning strike and a downpour came. I tipped my kayak over which I have never done and lost my paddle down stream. What really was a hardship is my phone was soaked and no longer worked. So I decided to do what I had to do. I got on shore with my boat and walked through the woods in my bathing suit (I lost my cooler with my food and clothes). I didn’t really know anyone in the town I was close to except Lori, who owns a beautiful day spa. That meant a long trek through town in my bathing suit and a heavy kayak in the pouring rain!
I finally made it to Lori’s Spa… where everyone looked beautiful with their hair and makeup done while I walked in soaking wet covered in mosquito bites and cut up by buck-thorn. I didn’t really care at that point, I just wanted to get home:) Lori helped me out by getting her husband’s truck so she could help me get my kayak home too. But the fiasco didn’t stop there. The rain was fiercely coming down and as Lori turned on the windshield wipers, they DIDN’T WORK! Oh boy! I live way out in the country so we drove slow and used our hands to help her see. When we pulled into the driveway I was filled with relief! I will never forget Micah’s 2nd birthday adventure. The craziness sure helped me keep my mind off of my sadness! What a “personal day!”
Once I got home, I made a hot cup of tea and created a Cherry Danish. Nothing cheers me up like cooking and baking!
- 3 extra large eggs, separated (reserving ½ of the yolks for filling)
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- ¼ cup Swerve (or 1 tsp stevia glycerite)
- 1 tsp cherry extract (or other extract like lemon/strawberry/blueberry/almond)
- 3 TBS sour cream (or coconut cream if dairy free)
- [url:2]1/4 cup Jay Robb Strawberry OR Vanilla Egg White Protein
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened (or coconut cream if dairy allergy)
- ½ of the egg yolks from above
- ¼ cup Swerve (or ½ tsp stevia glycerite)
- 1 tsp cherry extract (or other like lemon/strawberry/blueberry/almond/raspberry)
- 1 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 TBS Swerve confectioners (or a drop of stevia glycerite)
- ¼ tsp cherry extract (or
- Pastry directions: Separate eggs, putting the whites in a large bowl and the yolks in a medium bowl. Take ½ yolk out and put it in a little dish to reserve for filling. With your electric beater, whip whites and cream of tartar until very stiff, then add the protein powder.
- Add sour cream, extract, natural sweetener to the yolks and beat well until smooth. Gently fold yolk mixture into the whites, using a big spatula
,beingcareful to get it all blended well. Grease a cookie sheet and plop 6 equal mounds of batter to make 6 Danish.
- Make an indent on each mound and fill with filling.
- Filling: Soften cream cheese and add the ½ egg yolks, sweetener, extract, and flavoring.
- Fill pastries.
- Bake about 20-25 minutes at 300 until golden brown. Remove and allow to cool.
- To make the Drizzle: warm the cream cheese and stir in the natural sweetener and extract.
- Place the mixture into a piping bag (or a small ziplock after it has cooled a bit and cut a tiny hole cut into the corner) and drizzle over cooled Danish.
Starbuck’s Danish = 420 calories, 25g fat, 7g protein, 39 carbs, 1g fiber
“Healthified” Danish = 145 calories, 11.7g fat, 9g protein, 1.2 carbs, 0 fiber
72.3% fat, 24.5% protein, 3.2% carbs
TESTIMONY OF THE DAY
30 Day Meal Plan Testimony: “Good morning, I just wanted to share with you, today is day 13 of your advanced healing plan. Yesterday and today I have woken up feeling like a new person. I am only 34 but have felt much older for the past few years (and now that I feel this good think it has been most of my life). My GI issues that have gone on for 2.5 years are slightly improved but the main changes surround my attitude, energy, and skin. The past 2 mornings I have woken up in such a positive mood I have been excited to exercise and to have a good day. I have had so much energy I almost feel like Tigger! Almost, ha ha!
My skin has also clearing up, which is something I have battled since my teen years. I have lost about 7 pounds but the most exciting part is how I feel. When I woke up yesterday I felt astonished at how miserable I have felt for many years. I have always been someone who needed 12 hours of sleep but when I started having kids 8 years ago, that really took a toll on me to the point that after reading your information, I am pretty sure I have burnt my adrenal system out and compounded the issues with poor food choices that enhanced inflammation. I suffered weight gain and depression along with anxiety. I would just feel unhappy and spent more energy than I had to get through the day. It is such a cycle and for the first time in my life I feel like I have some control over it. I no longer feel trapped in my dysfunctional body!! Thank you! I want to sing your praises.
You have answered my few emails with straightforward and caring replies. You have a personal touch which sets you apart. I have already sent my integrative doctor a message because I know he will want to know more about your plans. Have a great weekend, I know I will!” – Llisa