HOW TO PREVENT OSTEOPOROSIS
When I was 7 years old we were at a family gathering at my grandparent’s house for Christmas. My great grandma Minnie Kress was a whipper-snapper at the age of 90 and was at the party. She was an amazing and strong woman who was never afraid of butter. She mistakenly went into the basement door (instead of the bathroom door) and fell all the way down the steps onto a concrete floor. She did not break one bone! At 90 I can’t believe that fall didn’t shatter her bones.
HOW TO PREVENT OSTEOPOROSIS
One common misconception is that if you are suffering from Osteopenia or Osteoporosis is that you need to just add in more calcium. It is so much more complicated than that! Also most calcium supplements cause more harm than good! Calcification and plaque build up is a sign of taking calcium supplements and not getting calcium into the bones where it needs to be. So read on, and see how to prevent Osteoporosis.
FACTS ON BONES:
1. Something that you may not realize is that the cellular wall of bone is made up of FAT! And not just any fat… it is mainly made up of the demonized SATURATED FAT!
Yep! If you just use olive oil and avoid saturated fats (like your doctor may tell you to for heart health… which is terrible advice anyway), you are putting your bones at risk.
2. Bones are alive and are either breaking down or building up, this is known as Osteoclast (breaking down) and Osteoblasts (building up).
3. Bones need collagen! My favorite way to give them collagen is bone broth! It is not only awesome for collagen, it is also high in well-absorbed minerals. Click HERE to find my bone broth tips!
4. Antacids contribute to hip fractures. Tums is calcium carbonate which is a tterrible form of calcium. Nexium, Prilosec and other acid-blockers increase fractures by 44 percent! When I work with clients in Europe Doctor only prescribes these for a maximum of two weeks which the bottles clearly states. Even US bottles clearly state to take for only 2 weeks! Doctors in the US prescribe over 100 million prescriptions a year and many to tiny babies.
5. Women build 42% of their bone mass between ages of 12-18. What are your teens eating? Sodas and Gatorade ruin the strength of bones. You have 5 times higher risk of fracture if you drink soda and Gatorade once a day.
6. Magnesium deficiency is a common cause of calcium not getting into the bones. But don’t waste your money on calcium-magnesium supplements, they are “frienamies.” I do not recommend calcium supplements, however a quality magnesium such as THIS one is something we are all deficient in mainly because we once consumed magnesium through our water supply. Without adequate magnesium (and k2, see below) calcium gets deposited in areas it shouldn’t causing kidney stones, plaque build up on teeth and arteries. Taking a quality magnesium at night helps calm you down and helps with sleep. Halibut is high in magnesium.:)
7. The most important bone building supplement in my opinion is vitamin K2, not K1. Vitamin K2 is found in organ meat. How often do you eat organ meat? Yep, that’s what I thought… this is why even my kids take k2. But I also hide ground up liver in my chili and lasagna. Click HERE to find the one we take.
8. Having low progesterone causes bone loss. You don’t need to be in menopause to be low in progesterone. If you find yourself waking up at 2-3am and can’t get back to sleep, or have high anxiety, I suggest getting your progesterone checked. I love THIS all-natural cream by Emerita.
9. Low vitamin d is a common cause of bone loss. Is your level not rising? You MUST get sunlight without the filter of sunscreen. You need UV light to activate cholesterol phosphates.
How much vitamin D do you need? Well, if you are in the sun without sunscreen, you make about 20,000-30,000 IU per hour. So 5,000-7,500 IU in 15 minutes!
If you are taking vitamin D, you MUST take it with food. It is fat soluble. I also recommend taking it in the morning because it increases serotonin, with lowers melatonin (circadian rhythm). If you take it before bed, it can cause sleep issues. You need 1000iu per 25 pounds of body weight.
TIP: When we brought our boys home from Ethiopia it is a requirement to get a million tests done in the US. One of which was vitamin D levels. Even though they were living on the equator, their vitamin D levels were only in the 30’s. Way too low!
10. If you have low hydrochloric acid you can’t absorb the vitamins and minerals needed for proper bone health. If you have been on acid blockers or have a thyroid issue you most likely are deficient. We also produce lower hydrochloric acid as we age. You can be taking a “Magic Pill” but will not benefit if you can’t absorb it! Celiac disease can’t absorb nutrients for healthy bones.
11. Everyone seems to want a faster thyroid, BUT that is NOT healthy. A faster thyroid leads to bone loss because you can’t absorb nutrients. Too fast of a thyroid also has many issues: sleeplessness, diarrhea, hunger, anxiety… everything is going too fast.
BONE ROBBERS: STAY AWAY FROM:
2. Fozamax and other prescription drugs for bones actually makes bones hard and brittle! They basically kill the bones and are no longer alive. If someone who is on these drugs takes a bad fall, they won’t just get a fracture, the bones are so hard and brittle, they just shatter.
3. Trans-fat and alcohol: other bone robbers.
GLUCOSE BURNER OR KETONE BURNER?
Your health and lifespan will be determined on what fuel source you use for energy.
What you decide to put into your mouth effects every hormone in your body; insulin, leptin, ghrelin, human growth hormone. It is those nutrients that then tell your cells what to do. If you choose glucose as your fuel source, you are going to crave it. And you are going to crave it a lot because your body can not store much and you store it for anaerobic emergencies. We have glucose around because you can burn it without oxygen. Everyone stores a little in case of an emergency. But we couldn’t survive on burning glucose alone.
Our largest source of glucose is protein, our muscle and bone; which is a huge problem!!!
If we are addicted to glucose and our hormones are telling our cells to burn glucose, during the day we can constantly eat it (the eating every 2 hours to “fuel your metabolism”… if you are a sugar-burner), as we constantly eat carbs to fuel that addiction we are constantly raising insulin, we become more and more insulin resistance, as well as making more and more fat out of that glucose (carbs).
BUT what is more disturbing is during sleep. When you are sleeping you still need to burn glucose if you are a sugar burner. But since you are not eating for 8 hours of rest, you are going to get that glucose by tearing down your lean muscle mass (muscle loss) as well as stealing it from your bones (bone loss). The biggest cause of osteoporosis has nothing to do with calcium but is the fact that we are breaking down our bones during sleep to feed our glucose addiction.
Once we teach our bodies, and the only way to teach our bodies is to teach our hormones, basically to improve our insulin and leptin sensitivity so that we can then dig into our fat stores; then we burn fat as our primary fuel.
TAKE AWAY MESSAGE:
1. It is high in healthy saturated fats to make the cellular wall of bones.
2. The cholesterol in foods make healthy hormones (progesterone/thyroid hormone).
3. It is free of sugar which is the main bone robber.
4. It is free of gluten which is another bone robber.
5. It is free of trans-fats!
6. I also always recommend strength training for strong and healthy bones!
You deserve this!
Food is medicine!
TESTIMONIES OF THE DAY
Bone Health Testimonies!
“Hi Maria, I have to tell you 6 years ago I was told I have osteopenia, the beginning stages of osteoporosis. I started using your recipes and supplement suggestions 6 months ago. Last week I had a bone density test and my results were astonishing!
In fact the nurse was stunned. My hip area INCREASED 8.7% and my spine INCREASED 1.2%!
She told me most women lose 1% per year while going through menopause. Thank you Maria for all your knowledge. I just received your sweets cookbook and will be purchasing your slow cooker and one other to complete my collection! Love your blog and all the information!” – Kim
PHONE CLIENT TESTIMONY: “Maria. I am so excited ! I went to my dentist today to have an implant checked. He said my bone has grown so fast and asked me what I have been doing. He noticed I had lost a lot of weight also. I watched one of your videos on supplements and you said to take Vitamin k-2 for plaque ..My teeth have always been sensitive and my gums bleed.. No more! I could tell the difference but I waited to see if the dentist could see a difference. He did ! OMG I can not believe how much I keep learning from you! You are the best ! Many thanks to you for helping me take back my health.. I am so excited and happy !!!!!!” – Shirley
Most people I consult are doing keto totally wrong. Get fast results with the my NEW Keto Packages!