TESTIMONY OF THE DAY
If you need a little encouragement to start the year off right, please read this testimony from a client who travels about 3 weeks out of the month, has a wife and a toddler and still finds time to prepare meals. He lost 35.5 pounds in 45 days just by changing a few things.
Many of those that have posted have struck a chord with my situation before starting with you. The “dark” side of my story was intentionally left out because I’m not at my goal yet. For now, I just keep myself focused on results and not how or why–especially since it’s difficult to exist in the “what if I didn’t have a friend that helped me?”
It is humbling to see how much trust you place in your clients and how much hope and faith they have in you! There were some posters that touched on similar concerns to mine, so I wanted to clarify in the hope that others may see how working with you can simplify, not complicate; can be cheap not expensive.
1. I did NOT cook for most of my progression. I suck at cooking. I had to ask my wife how to hard boil eggs. Seriously. So MY weight loss was not dependent on baking or cooking skills. Your recipes impacted my enjoyment and spare time, but my weight loss was not dependent on a magic recipe. And I built up to them. With that said, I can see how some people would see immediate benefit from substituting your healthified stuff. But for someone that is on the road, eats out or just can’t cook–don’t worry. Maria’s plan works incredibly well in that reality that so many of us live in.
2. When my son and I cook, it’s often easy stuff like fried eggs or my new hard-boiled egg recipe (egg + boiling water). I thought I’d be late to work, but it literally takes 15 minutes start to finish. Okay, sometimes longer if we decide to sing. My waffle maker was $50. Made that back in one skipped trip to Sunday buffet. Your pancakes are like $2.50 and were breakfast for 3 days.
3. My progress and your plan for me was 100% INDEPENDENT of source of food. Eggs were eggs. Chicken was chicken. I did NOT need to find cage-free, organic DHA ratio’d eggs from Chickens that did yoga every morning.
4. I took the past 1.5 to 2 months to learn WHILE doing. You have now recommended 4-5 books that I read while exercising. And youtubes and postings. But if I waited to learn, I’d still be where I was. Maybe even more depressed. I imagine a lot of people are like how I am in many many ways but chose not to be with this. I would read to find fault or problems. To blame an industry or a food. I came to realize that even if all of that is true, so what? It’s not about them, it’s about me.
5. I did not try to change anyone but me. We had meals where son, wife and me all ate different things. So what? Is that ideal–no. But who cares? You know what–son started asking for what “papa” was eating. Salsa (Pace) over ketchup. Then mustard over salsa. Then eggs over toast. Now mustard on eggs. And mustard on waffles. Eventually that’s where the baking and recipes helped…and that was key for me.
6. Your plan SAVED me money. I saved on snack foods not because I chose to not eat them–but because I did not need to snack. I have a $8 bag of almonds in my pantry that I bought 2 months ago–and am only now down to the bottom. I used to spend $15/day on snacks throughout the day.
7. It was far easier for me to use your system of basic meal first, then build. I didn’t focus on what I couldn’t eat–just on what I could. I built a meal only from known things–especially helpful when on the road. “When in doubt, leave it out.” I was stunned that I would get full and satisfied throughout the day so I didn’t even feel like I missed anything.
8. Here’s a true story–I started to pass on airline meals. I’ve had two flight attendants tell me “Good for you” in a very sincere way. One explained how she fasts while flying. This WILL happen to anyone that does your plan–you will find camaraderie in the oddest places.
9. I have an ego and associated my willingness to try any local food with business success and whatever. That was totally in my head. There are just as many, if not more, people that I work with that have endeared themselves to me because I opted to jog along the oceanside rather than eat a local potato.
10. Mentally, it was important for me to paint a picture quickly. After a couple days of seeing the mental shift and energy level, I tried consciously to act as though I was already there. What you helped me focus on was things like sleep, stress and reading. I was therefore making decisions from a positive place and not out of victim, sufferer, tired/cranky, etc..
Anyway, Maria thanks for all your help and I’m looking forward to my own home stretch to my goal. Looking forward to trying even more of the recipes with my son who’s already asking me for your chocolate donuts! ‘Papa, Nutritious AND Delicious!’ He’s one smart low-carb cookie!”
This is a segment from my Secrets to a Healthy Metabolism book.
There is no doubt that the most effective means of attaining weight loss is by means of maintaining a well balanced diet program and having a regular exercising routine. A very effective weight loss supplement that can be used alongside is carnitine which is extremely beneficial in increasing weight loss by mobilizing fat in the body and increasing calorie burning. Discovered in 1905, it is a water-soluble, vitamin-like compound that is readily used in the body. Dietary carnitine can be found in a number of foods. The best source is meat, particularly beef, sheep, and lamb. Other animal foods such as cheese and poultry contain somewhat less carnitine.
The function of carnitine is a bit complex. It is an amino acid which aids the breakdown of calories by shuttling fatty acids into the mitochondria which is our ‘fat-burning powerhouse’ in our body. The American Chronicle states there is also another significant reason which makes carnitine stand out among the various other weight loss supplements. Carnitine has the unique distinction of keeping watch and restricting the accumulation of fat around the liver and heart.
This unique supplement also helps enhance muscle strength and aids in reduction of triglyceride levels in the body. Carnitine furthermore helps reduce irritability and anxiety which is a common side effect amongst dieters. This supplement can help increase your energy at same time suppressing your appetite. Also muscular fatigue is reduced, which can help you go longer and harder in your fitness routine.
Nutrition rich foods and animal protein can help to meet basic levels of nutrition in the body. A person who exercises regularly needs lot of carnitine for overall growth and development. One should replenish this supplement in the body before a deficiency is created. Carnitine is suggested by doctors to those who don’t consume adequate amounts of proteins, vitamins, and amino acids to make up for the deficiency. Deficiency of carnitine can lead to low energy levels and muscular weakness. Cramps and sudden weight gain are often a side effect of low levels of carnitine.
Cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, Alzheimer’s and obesity are some of disease which you can come across if long term deficiency of carnitine happens. Due to lack of animal protein in diet of vegetarians they are most likely to suffer from a deficiency. Doctors consider it to be a very effective supplement for vegetarians.
In the past carnitine was thought to be involved only in the conversion of fat into energy, but scientists have since discovered that it has many far-reaching actions critically related to your appearance, performance and overall health and longevity. Carnitine has been proposed by doctors and scientists as a treatment for many conditions.
Here are some of the many benefits:
L-Carnitine is one of the best supplements in the weight-loss industry which can help you lose those extra pounds. This supplement is most effective because it mobilizes the fat and it disappears more rapidly when you include it with you exercise program. Carnitine shuttles our extra fat to our fat-burning powerhouse in our cells called the mitochondria; energy is produced so as to burn fat easier and go longer during your workout.
EXERCISE PERFORMANCE AND AGING
Aging results in deterioration of the muscles, an increase in body fat, and a decrease in our muscle’s oxidative abilities. One study fed old rats with carnitine at 30 mg/kg body weight, the carnitine levels and oxidative activity of muscle cells was restored. Body composition was also improved; it decreased their abdominal fat and increased muscle fibers. Another study found L-carnitine in a dose of 100 mg/kg body weight improved exercise endurance.
Carnitine has strong antioxidant effects in the body, protecting cell membranes against free radical damage, which occurs at high rates during exercise and as part of the normal aging process. Therefore, long-term carnitine supplementation may slow the detrimental effects of aging on athletic performance.
Some research suggests that carnitine may prove useful for preventing or reducing symptoms of an overactive thyroid, such as insomnia, nervousness, elevated heart rate, and tremors. In fact, in one study, a small group of people with hyperthyroidism had improvement in these symptoms, as well as normalization of their body temperature, when taking carnitine.
• Angina — The top facts for carnitine’s use for heart disease is as an addition to conventional treatment for stable angina. Several clinical trials indicate that carnitine can help reduce symptoms of angina and improve the ability of those with angina to exercise without chest pain. You should not self-treat chest pain, however; see your doctor for diagnosis and conventional treatment, and consider carnitine as extra insurance for your heart.
• Heart attack — Some studies suggest that people who take carnitine supplements soon after a heart attack may be less likely to suffer another heart attack, experience chest pain, or develop heart failure. Carnitine should be used along with conventional medication under your doctor’s supervision.
• Heart Failure — A few studies have found that carnitine (in the form of propionyl-L-carnitine) can help reduce symptoms of heart failure and improve exercise capacity in people with heart failure. However, more studies are needed to confirm any benefit.
PERIPHERAL VASCULAR DISEASE
Decreased blood flow to the legs from atherosclerosis (plaque build-up) often causes an aching or cramping pain in the legs while walking or exercising. The reduced blood flow to the legs is called peripheral vascular disease. A number of studies show that carnitine can help ease symptoms and increase the distance people can walk. Most studies have used propionyl-L-carnitine; it isn’t known if L-carnitine would have the same effect.
High blood sugar levels and diabetes often damage nerves in the body, especially the arms, legs, and feet; the condition is called diabetic neuropathy. Some studies suggest acetyl-L-carnitine may help decrease pain and increase normal feeling in affected nerves. It is also promising that carnitine can help nerves regenerate.
MALE INFERTILITY AND ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION
Low sperm counts have been connected to low carnitine levels. Numerous studies advocate that carnitine supplementation may enhance sperm count and mobility. Studies also suggest that propionyl-L-carnitine could help male sexual function. One study found that carnitine significantly improved the effectiveness of Viagra in men with diabetes who until that time had not responded to Viagra.
CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME (CFS)
Scientists find that chronic fatigue syndrome may be causes by deficiencies of many nutrients, including carnitine. L-carnitine has been compared to a medication for fatigue in a study of 30 people with CFS. Those who took carnitine did much better than those who took the medication, particularly after receiving the supplement for 4 – 8 weeks.
• Weight loss: 2 – 4 grams daily
• Peripheral vascular disease: 2 – 4 g per day
• Diabetic neuropathy: 3 g per day
• Male infertility: 500 – 1,000 mg three times daily
• Chronic fatigue syndrome: 500 – 1,000 mg up to four times per day
• Overactive thyroid: 2 – 4 g per day in two to four divided doses