Flourless Vanilla Bean Torte with Brown Butter Glaze
Testimony of the Day
This testimony is from one of the Webinar class participants from my Maximize Your Metabolism class from last Sunday night:
I know that this sounds crazy, but swishing coconut oil in your mouth for a few minutes a day is an extremely healthy and tasty daily regime that I like to practice. It is extremely easy too; place a tablespoon of coconut oil into your mouth and swish it around as if it were mouthwash (if it is solid, it will melt in your mouth). Just like brushing your teeth, when you do something 16 days in a row it becomes a habit! My suggestion is to toss your mouthwash filled with chemicals and replace it with a jar of coconut oil.
Here are some of the reasons why you should start oil pulling today:
1. Removes bacteria, parasites, and toxins that live in your lymph system. Coconut oil in particular have antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and enzymatic properties which is why I suggest pulling with coconut oil over other oils. It helps kill Streptococcus mutans, an acid-producing bacterium that is a major cause of tooth decay. It also clears up Candida, which can cause thrush.
2. It relieves congestion and mucus in your sinuses and throat.
3. Re-mineralizes teeth and strengthen gums.
4. It clears up skin issues like psoriasis because the pulling detoxes toxins which boosts the immune system.
Coconut oil serves several purposes. Its butyric acid is known to increase T3 uptake by glial cells. It has a general pro-thyroid action, for example by diluting and displacing antithyroid unsaturated oils, its short-and medium-chain fatty acids sustain blood sugar and have anti-allergic actions, and it protects mitochondria against stress injury. So if you are like me, get yourself a gallon since you will be using it so much, it helps save money. I get mine HERE.
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter or coconut oil, softened
- 1⅓ cups Swerve Confectioners (or equivalent)
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 5 eggs, separated
- 2½ cups blanched almond flour
- 1½ cup ricotta cheese (homemade if possible SEE BELOW)
- OPTIONAL: ¼ cup lemon zest
- BROWN BUTTER GLAZE:
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- ¼ cup Swerve Confectioner’s
- 1 vanilla bean, split and beans scraped
- Slivered almonds, to decorate
- Preheat oven to 325 degree F.
- Line the base and sides of an 8 inch round cake tin with baking paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, place the butter, natural sweetener and vanilla seeds and mix for 8-10 minutes or until pale and well combined. Scrap down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the egg yolks into the butter mixture, continuing to beat until fully combined.
- Add the almond meal and mix until smooth, then fold ricotta in (and lemon zest if desired).
- In a separate clean (dry) bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the cake mixture. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin, smooth the top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely in the cake tin.
- While cooling, make the brown butter glaze.
- Place the butter in a saucepan and heat on high for about 5 minutes. The butter will start to sizzle and fluff up. Watch for brown flecks (not black!) and remove from heat. Once the butter is brown, whisk vigorously while adding the sweetener. Next add the vanilla beans. Cool slightly so it thickens a little (or it will leak off of cake). Having a very cold cake will also help the brown butter to harden faster for a nice frosting.
- Drizzle over cooled cake.
Traditional Cake = 448 calories, 30.1g fat, 11g protein, 33.6g carbs, 2.6g fiber (31 effective carbs)
“Healthified” Cake = 346 calories, 30.1g fat, 11g protein, 7.2g carbs, 2.6g fiber (5.4 effective carbs)
“Healthified” Cake without glaze = 294 calories, 23g fat, 11g protein, 11g carbs, 7.2g carbs, 2.6g fiber (5.4 effective carbs)
Making homemade ricotta is VERY easy. I have a slow cooker recipe for organic ricotta in my cookbook The Art of Healthy Eating Slow Cooker. Homemade ricotta topped with my homemade marinara sauce (also in The Art of Healthy Eating Slow Cooker) is one amazingly easy side dish or snack!
Click HERE to get your copy. Thank you all for your love and support! It means the world to my family to be able to work from home and take care of my boys.
If you would like to help out a small family, rather than large business, I am happy to announce that you can now get my books as a high quality ebook that works on any platform. This is an ebook format that works on any computer or mobile device. It is a beautiful pdf that has all the full color pages and layouts as the printed books with click-able table of contents and searching capabilities. This is extremely useful when trying to find a recipe. These books are much higher quality than the ebook platforms (kindle, apple). Plus, most of the profits don’t go to Amazon or apple! Just go here to get your copy!