Girl Scout Cereal
I grew up on cereal and skim milk. I often had it as a ‘bed-night-snack’ as a kid. Habits are hard to break and that one was probably my hardest habit I had to stop.
If you haven’t heard already, Girl Scouts is coming out with a new cereal line. So far they have a caramel cereal as well as a Thin Mint cereal. I thought it would be fun to recreate a Keto Girl Scout cereal line! But seriously, if you trying to transition off cereal with your family, you MUST try this Girl Scout Cereal!
The 3 things that make this cereal amazing are:
1. Yacon Syrup: gives it a caramel-like taste and texture. Read more on natural sweeteners HERE.
2. Browning the butter. If you have never browned butter, you are missing out! It is a “game changer!” Click HERE to watch me making brown butter. You can skip this step, but it will not be as good:)
3. The caramel extract gives it a whole extra layer of flavor.
Next time I make it, I am going to add a few tablespoons of MACA powder to add my malted milk flavor!
Girl Scout Cereal
- 2 tablespoons Yacon syrup for a caramel taste OR 1/4 cup Swerve confectioners (or equivalent)
- 1/3 cup crushed almonds or pecans or walnuts
- 1/4 cup almond flour doesn't have to be blanched
- 1/4 cup vanilla Egg White protein powder
- 1/4 cup butter or coconut oil if dairy free
- 1 tsp caramel extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (170 degrees C). Combine cup crushed nuts, almond flour, protein powder, extract and cinnamon in a small bowl. Stir in natural sweetener of your choice.
- To make the BEST cereal, place the butter in a saucepan and heat to high heat while stirring often. The butter will froth up and brown flecks will appear. Once butter is dark brown, not black, remove from heat. Stir well into the nut mixture.
- Place mixture on a cookie sheet with defined edges or the butter will leak off. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and gently stir while still hot. Let cool in the cookie tin (it will crisp up A LOT). Break pieces apart and enjoy with unsweetened cashew milk.
442 calories, 39g fat, 16g protein, 10g carbs, 7g fiber
TESTIMONY OF THE DAY
“In the past month of following Keto and using the meal planner I have already lost 9 pounds that I have been trying to get rid of forever following Atkins. And I feel amazing! Plus I feel like there is so much more variety and flavorful treats eating the Maria way. Just wanted to say thanks! I love the membership and site.
It looks like serving size would be really small, maybe 1/4 c? I haven’t seen a lc cereal recipe where I feel it would give a decent serving size to make it worth the effort, carbs and calories.
Actually this looks like it makes about 3/4 C which is a normal serving size for cereal. Though honestly if you want more why not just double the recipe???
I don’t think Robin is commenting on the amount the recipe makes. It seems the recipe makes around 1 cup volume, but the nutrition facts posted dictate that this recipe equals 4 servings, which would be around 1/4 cup per serving. The nutrition info is only valid if you stick to the serving size. If you ate this entire recipe in one sitting, you would be consuming 880 calories and 16 carbs (8 net carbs). And that’s without milk. Regardless, I have this recipe cooling on the pan right now. I sampled some pieces already and it is delicious!
I’ve never had a girl scout cookie before, I guess this will be my first!
Maria, can you advise what caramel extract you use? I don’t think that I’ve ever seen that product before. Thanks!
I’m interested in the keto diet as a possible way of treating my daughters epilepsy, and your cook books give me hope and inspiration. Thank you! However, before venturing into this family experiment, I foresee that the biggest challenge will be changing our Scandinavian breakfast routines (we’re Danish; eat lots of dairy products and whole grain cereals for breakfast (muesli, oatmeal, yogurt, milk) – we’re not so used to hot breakfast). Can you please point me to some specific solutions that would make the transition to keto breakfast easier? The girl scout cereal sounds and looks amazing, but I am allergic to almonds. Do you have any suggestions for an alternative to the almond flour?
Thank you so much.
You would love my book Quick and Easy Ketogenic Cooking!
No almond flour in it at all! http://astore.amazon.com/marisnutran05-20/detail/1628601000
But tons of ideas for tasty breakfasts!
Thank you for your support!