If you are one of those who are struggling to get it all done during the holidays, I have GREAT NEWS!
Having some foresight this year I reached out to my friend at Kettle & Fire, to see if he would create a special offer for my readers during the holiday season. He was kind enough to agree and for the next 72 hours you can use KETOADAPTEDXMAS to save 15% off your entire order. It is the perfect time to stock up (pun intended) for the Holidays and the new year. A bone broth “cleanse” or fast is a great way to reset your gut and body after a few weeks of indulgence.
Some of my favorites:
72 hour sale of 15% any order! Use coupon code “KETOADAPTEDXMAS”
Not only do I suggest getting yourself a box of yummy goodness, I also suggest gifting this to a keto friend or someone you know who is suffering from an illness and doesn’t have the opportunity to make healthy nourishing foods.
I have gifted Kettle and Fire bone broth to many neighbors and friends who have been suffering from illnesses such as cancer and don’t have an appetite or ability to chew food. Bone broths are not only delicious, they are also one of the most healthy things you can consume during times of illness.
Bone broths are one of the most nourishing foods. It is so medicinal that if I could bottle up into a pill, the pharmaceutical companies would be broke. So I thought I would give you my tips for making the best bone broth.
Because broth can be regarded as a liquefied form of the important components of bones, the medicinal benefits of bone broth are attributed to the exceptionally high levels of minerals and amino acids. In fact bone broth can be considered both a high quality multi-mineral and protein supplement.
1. HYDROPHILIC COLLOIDS: Stock is also awesome because it has hydrophilic colloids. Raw foods are colloidal and are hydrophilic, meaning that they attract liquids. This is important because when we eat a salad or other raw food, the hydrophilic colloids attract digestive juices for rapid and effective digestion. Colloids that have been heated are usually hydrophobic (meaning they repel liquids, making cooked foods harder to digest). However, the gelatin in meat broths has the special property of attracting liquids even after it has been heated. A good visual is Jell-O, the gelatin attracts water to form desserts, which allows it to attract digestive juices to the surface of cooked food particles.
2. CROHN’S and COLITIS: Broth contains gelatin, which aids in digestion and works amazing as a treatment of intestinal disorders, including hyperacidity, colitis and Crohn’s disease because it heals the intestinal wall. Many clients of mine have Colitis, leaky gut, diverticulitis, Crohn’s or other intestinal problems. By supplementing with broth and other key supplements (such as l-glutamine) we can strengthen the intestinal walls, which also supports our immune system. Babies had fewer digestive problems when gelatin was added to their milk. It enhances digestion by attracting digestive juices to food in the gut. It also calms and soothes the gut lining. Gelatin should be the first therapeutic food for anyone suffering from digestive conditions affecting the intestines.
3. Collagen is a protein extracted in broth through the breakdown of bone and cartilage during the cooking process and is referred to as gelatin. The quality of broth is usually determined by the amount of gelatin it contains. The gelatin in broth is also useful for the treatment of anemia and other blood disorders, like diabetes, muscular dystrophy and even cancer.
4. AMINO ACIDS: Although gelatin isn’t a complete protein, (it only has the amino acids arginine and glycine in large amounts) it acts as a protein sparer, allowing the body to more fully utilize the complete proteins that are taken in. So if you are someone who can’t afford large amounts of meat in your diet, gelatin-rich broths are great to help boost protein absorption.
5. MINERAL ABSORPTION: Healthy bone tissue is naturally high in minerals (calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium) which provide a healthy bone structure, nervous system as well as hormone balance. Fish stock will also provide iodine which is essential for a healthy thyroid. Broths made from fish bones will also provide iodine. The gelatin in broth strengthens digestion which helps you absorb more nutrients. Gelatin helps people digest milk and dairy products.
“Stock contains minerals in a form the body can absorb easily—not just calcium but also magnesium, phosphorus, silicon, sulphur and trace minerals. It contains the broken down material from cartilage and tendons–stuff like chondroitin sulphates and glucosamine, now sold as expensive supplements for arthritis and joint pain.” Sally Fallon Morell
6. JOINT HEALTH: Since the gelatin is derived from cartilage a huge benefit of broth is that it provides an awesome source of glucosamine and chondroitin. These nutrients are essential for regaining joint health.